Updated: Nov 30
As our pets age they become more susceptible to health problems that can impact their quality of life. That's why it's essential for pet families to prioritise senior pet wellness testing to ensure that their furbabies remain healthy and happy into their golden years.
Regular wellness testing can detect potential health issues before they become severe, making it easier to treat and manage these problems. In this article, we will discuss the importance of senior pet wellness testing, including what it entails, when to schedule it, and why it's crucial for the health and wellbeing of our senior pets.
What Does Senior Pet Wellness Testing Involve?
Wellness testing is a comprehensive evaluation of your cat or dog's overall health and wellbeing. The following are some of the tests and examinations that we include:
● Nose to tail checkup - This involves a physical examination of your pet's body from head to tail, looking for any abnormalities, lumps, or bumps.
● Blood test - A blood test is done to evaluate your pet's overall health, including their liver and kidney function, blood sugar levels and red and white blood cell counts.
● Urine test - A urine test can detect the presence of any underlying medical conditions such as urinary tract infections or kidney disease.
● Lumps and Bumps - Our vets will examine your pet's skin for any lumps or bumps that may indicate the presence of skin cancer or other skin conditions.
● Heart and lungs - A stethoscope is used to listen to your pet's heart and lungs to check for any abnormalities or irregularities in their heartbeat or breathing.
● Weight assessment - Our vets will weigh your pet and evaluate their body condition score to determine if they are at a healthy weight.
● Dental check - A dental examination is done to assess your pet's oral health and check for any signs of dental disease, such as gingivitis or periodontitis.
When Should Senior Pets Be Wellness Tested?
The appropriate age for senior pet wellness testing varies depending on the type of pet. Generally, cats and dogs over the age of 7 years are considered seniors and should begin receiving regular senior wellness exams. However, larger breed dogs may be considered seniors as early as 5-6 years of age due to their shorter lifespan and increased risk of health problems.
As for the frequency of testing, it is recommended that senior pets receive wellness exams at least once a year, although some pets may require more frequent visits depending on their individual health needs. Regular wellness testing can help detect any changes in your pet's health early on, allowing for prompt treatment and management of any health problems.
It's important to note that senior pet wellness testing should not be seen as a one-time event but rather as an ongoing process. As our pets age, their health needs can change rapidly, and it's essential to stay on top of any potential health problems that may arise. By scheduling regular senior pet wellness testing with our vets, you can help your furry companion enjoy a long, happy and healthy life.
Is your cat or dog over 7 years of age? Have they visited the vet recently?
Remember - early detection is the best prevention!
Comprehensive Pet Care for Collingwood Park, Forest Lake, Greater Springfield, Ripley and Beyond
Goodna Vet is your trusted partner for exceptional pet care in a wide range of areas, including Collingwood Park, Greater Springfield, Springfield Lakes, Ripley, Ipswich, Forest Lake, and Redbank Plains. As a premier veterinary clinic, we proudly extend our services to pet owners in Jindalee, Darra, Oxley, Sumner Park, Sinnamon Park, Riverview, Redbank, Dinmore, Karalee, Karana Downs, Camira, Gailes, Brookwater, Augustine Heights, Bellbird Park, Bundamba, Mount Ommaney, Westlake, Riverhills, Middle Park, Jamboree Heights, Richlands, Inala and Ellen Grove. Your furry friend's well-being is our priority, and we can't wait to welcome you both to our clinic.
Book Your Convenient Same-Day Appointment Now!!!
We understand the urgency of pet care needs. Don't hesitate to request a same-day appointment today. Experience the exceptional care that defines Goodna Vet and ensures your pet's health and happiness.