Updated: Nov 30
Despite general anaesthesia being a common procedure that is performed in veterinary practices & human hospitals alike, it is not without risks. 🧐 At Goodna Veterinary Surgery we endeavour to make every anaesthetic event as safe ❤️ as possible. For this reason, we recommend that pets (especially ages 6 and over) are given intravenous fluids and anyone over 8 receives them mandatory with surgery. 💧🩺
Much like people, pets also age and their bodies become more frail. 👎 IVFT becomes critical in older patients because their organs cannot metabolise anaesthetics as well as younger patients.🧓🏼👵🏻 However; with fluids on board and constant, thorough monitoring we can make these procedures much safer.✅
Intravenous Fluids are a crucial component of small animal care, 🐶🐱use during surgery and post-operative recovery is imperative. Some of the most notable advantages are:
- When a pet is anaesthetised a decrease in blood pressure 🩸 can be experienced as the blood vessels relax and the heart 💓 slows down. Left unchecked this drop in pressure can cause severe damage to vital organs. IV fluids help to keep pressure above critical level by ensuring oxygen and nutrients are still reaching all vital organs. 🧠
- When we use IV fluids, we have to place a catheter into your pets vein. 💉This port can not only be used for fluids but also pain relief, emergency ‼️ life saving drugs, antibiotics or additional anaesthetic.😴 If a pet experiences a drop in blood pressure under anaesthesia, the veins collapse, making it extremely hard to find them and provide life saving care.
- IV fluids help to maintain a pets hydration. All surgical patients must fast 🍽 before surgery to reduce the risk of them vomiting 🤮 under anaesthetic. Due to this, pets are usually slightly dehydrated before any procedure even takes place. Thus, the fluid therapy helps to replace their fluid deficit during surgery. 🧊
- Depending on the type of surgery, sometimes there can be blood loss during 🩸 and IV fluids help to maintain and replace lost fluids.
- A pets core body temperature 🌡🥶 will inevitably drop under anaesthetic. Having IV fluids that can be warmed 🔥 helps to increase their temperature to safe levels.
- IV fluids also help after surgery by assisting in flushing the kidney & liver of anaesthetic and aids in a smoother recovery for patients.🥰
Much similarly to veterinary medicine, humans also receive IV fluid therapy during surgical procedures for the above reasons. It is such an integral part of healthcare and is why we recommend it so strongly. 🩺✂️
Comprehensive Pet Care for Collingwood Park, Forest Lake, Greater Springfield, Ripley and Beyond
Goodna Vet is your trusted partner for exceptional pet care in a wide range of areas, including Collingwood Park, Greater Springfield, Springfield Lakes, Ripley, Ipswich, Forest Lake, and Redbank Plains. As a premier veterinary clinic, we proudly extend our services to pet owners in Jindalee, Darra, Oxley, Sumner Park, Sinnamon Park, Riverview, Redbank, Dinmore, Karalee, Karana Downs, Camira, Gailes, Brookwater, Augustine Heights, Bellbird Park, Bundamba, Mount Ommaney, Westlake, Riverhills, Middle Park, Jamboree Heights, Richlands, Inala and Ellen Grove. Your furry friend's well-being is our priority, and we can't wait to welcome you both to our clinic.
Book Your Convenient Same-Day Appointment Now!!!
We understand the urgency of pet care needs. Don't hesitate to request a same-day appointment today. Experience the exceptional care that defines Goodna Vet and ensures your pet's health and happiness.