Updated: Oct 8, 2021
Valentine’s Day ❤️ is the most romantic day of the year – we treat our loved ones to extra affection 🥰 and special gifts 🎁 . But what about our pets? 🧐While a new Valentine chew toy 🦴 or some extra belly rubs would not be out of the question, we must be aware of the hazards ⚠️ that our Valentines traditions can present to our four-legged friends. 🐾
🍫 Chocolate - As we all know, chocolate is toxic to dogs 🐶 and cats 🐱 due to an ingredient called Theobromine. Theobromine can cause stomach upset, diarrhoea, vomiting 🤮, hyperactivity, dehydration and seizures.
🍬 Candy - Certain brands and types of candy contain an artificial sweetener known as Xylitol. This sweetener is extremely toxic to dogs and cats and can cause drops in blood 🩸 sugar levels, vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and liver failure.😦
🌹 Plants & Flowers - There are many different plants and flowers that are poisonous or harmful to pets. Some popular harmful ones commonly given as gifts are Lillies, Chrysanthemum, Daffodils, Hyacinth, Hydrangeas, Impatiens, Rubber plants & Tulips. 🌼🌸 Lillies are especially toxic to cats with even 1-2 petals being enough to cause kidney failure and potentially death!!
😫🕯 Candles - While they may create a romantic 💋 environment they can also attract the curiosity of your pet. Ensure they are out of reach and extinguished before leaving unattended.🔥
If your pet ingests or comes into contact with any of the above listed items please contact a vet ‼️IMMEDIATELY‼️ for guidance on what to do.
You can also consult the Australian Animal Poisons Centre on 1300 738 809 or visit their website https://animalpoisons.com.au.
We hope these tips help you to stay safe and Happy Valentines Day to you and your pets!! 💕