Updated: Nov 30
We all have busy schedules 🕐 and things like daily tooth brushing, while effective, are not always the most realistic option for everyone 🤔. For some pets, prescription dental diets can help to prevent the onset of periodontal disease ✨.
So, what makes these diets so special ❓ and how are these more effective than regular kibble when it comes to your pet’s dental health? 🏥
- Firstly, these diets are formulated to be complete and balanced ⚖️ which means that they contain all the ingredients, enzymes, nutrients etc that your pet needs to thrive 🌱. On top of this, they contain additional formulas to help with dental care.🦷
- The kibbles are larger sized so that when your pet bites 👅 into each biscuit it allows for full coverage of the tooth surface.
- Each piece of kibble is created to withstand deeper tooth penetration before shattering 💥, which acts like tooth brushing and works to scrub the tooth surface to reduce plaque.🧼
- Dental kibble is coated with sodium tripolyphosphates 🧂 which bind to the calcium found in saliva 💦. This then prevents the calcium from adhering to the tooth surface as easily and thus reducing the accumulation of plaque.🥰
- Certain ingredients in dental kibble act like antibacterial 🚫🦠 and anti-adhesive agents to help prevent the plaque build-up, much like mouthwash does for us!
- There are varied kibble sizes and products available to cats 🐱, small dogs, and all other sized dogs 🐶 to suit their individual dentition needs. 🦷
Our recommendation is the Royal Canin brand of Dental kibble which also includes added benefits for your dogs and cats ✅. These are bone & joint support 🦴 for larger breed dogs through the inclusion of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and Omega 3 fatty acids. The small dog dental kibble includes urinary support through dilution 💧 making stones and crystal formations less prevalent and the inclusion of certain nutrients work to protect the skin.
The feline kibble 😻 contains urinary support through the addition of their S/O index to prevent Struvite and Calcium Oxalate stones and hairball support 🧶 is achieved through a combination of fibres 🌾 that help eliminate hairballs as they pass through the digestive tract.
Royal Canin dental is also highly digestible 😋 and formed with ingredients such as prebiotics 💊, sugar beet pulp, rice 🍚, and fish oil 🐟 to ensure maximum digestion for your pets.
It is important to note that not every dental diet is formulated the same and all vary in some way‼️ So, it is important to discuss these options with your Veterinarian 👨⚕️ or Veterinary Staff 👩⚕️ so we can determine which product will be most suitable for your pet. 🗣
Comprehensive Pet Care for Collingwood Park, Forest Lake, Greater Springfield, Ripley and Beyond
Goodna Vet is your trusted partner for exceptional pet care in a wide range of areas, including Collingwood Park, Greater Springfield, Springfield Lakes, Ripley, Ipswich, Forest Lake, and Redbank Plains. As a premier veterinary clinic, we proudly extend our services to pet owners in Jindalee, Darra, Oxley, Sumner Park, Sinnamon Park, Riverview, Redbank, Dinmore, Karalee, Karana Downs, Camira, Gailes, Brookwater, Augustine Heights, Bellbird Park, Bundamba, Mount Ommaney, Westlake, Riverhills, Middle Park, Jamboree Heights, Richlands, Inala and Ellen Grove. Your furry friend's well-being is our priority, and we can't wait to welcome you both to our clinic.
Book Your Convenient Same-Day Appointment Now!!!
We understand the urgency of pet care needs. Don't hesitate to request a same-day appointment today. Experience the exceptional care that defines Goodna Vet and ensures your pet's health and happiness.